Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Miscarriage and Infertility REALLY messed with my head... But is it permanent?

This issue has been on my mind a lot lately, and I've been wanting to write about it for quite some time. Actually, I've been wanting to write about a lot of things, but there's no way to make them all fit in one post so I'll try just stick to this one for now.

Now I knew pretty much immediately after my first miscarriage started that something in me had changed and that I would never, ever be the same person again. It shattered my world and splintered my reality in ways I am still trying to piece back together (faith in God, in myself, in the future...for example).  I don't know how to make the pieces fit again and I have felt for quite some time like I am very literally STUCK here in this difficult place where I am at once pissed off at God and scared of him at the same time. It's horrible. But again, that is for another post.

As I already mentioned, my experiences have changed me, and so far I don't see how it has been for the better other than that I am able to empathize with others and their pain in a much more real way now than I ever could before. Aside from that, all it has done is make me bitter, jealous, angry, terrified, anxious and depressed. I could literally write a novel about this issue alone. Even though it took us almost a full year (11 months, I believe) to get pregnant the first time, I was still fine at that point. I still believed it would happen, and I had so much hope. We just weren't trying hard enough, or I was running too hard (I was really into training for 5K's at the time), or finishing grad school was just too stressful. Then, my mom got sick and I figured it just wasn't our time. Whatever the reason, I figured our time would come soon enough. So when it finally did in October of 2010, I thought "This is it. This is our time, and this baby is going to be a light for my hurting family. It's going to bring hope and joy to my sick mama." I really, truly believed these thoughts were from God and believed them with all of my heart, even when that first pregnancy started to have complications pretty much right away.

And then, even after the shock of seeing that sweet little 9 week old baby floating around with no heartbeat inside of me, I somehow got past the anger and found my way back to God. Sure, I was angry, but I believed he had a "plan" and that if I could just trust in Him, it would all work out just fine. I prayed through my grief and my anger and my jealousy of other women with healthy babies. I clung to the hope that he would not leave me or forsake me. I tried, I really did, to "let go and let God," as so many people advised me to do.

And then it happened again.

The 2nd time I was destroyed. In truth though, looking back, I was still so broken from the first loss that in all fairness I probably wasn't in the best emotional state to be trying for another baby. But if you've ever had a miscarriage or a loss, you understand the desperate drive to just get pregnant again... to get back what you've lost. And so, 3 months after losing our precious first baby, I found myself pregnant again. It happened relatively fast, even with my crazy messed up cycles, and for that I was thankful. But I was fragile and I was scared. When I took the requisite survey at my OB's office to screen for risk of post-partum depression, my OB point-blank said to me, "You know you score off the charts for depression right now, right?" "Yep," I said, "I know." Yet, I was assuming that being pregnant and having a baby would fix that depression right up. After all, my miscarriage was the initial cause.

Well, long story short, that pregnancy lasted even less time than the first. My faith was stomped into the ground, even though I tried for a while to cling to it. When my first due date rolled around in June of 2011 and I was still bleeding from my 2nd miscarriage that had started in APRIL, it was all too much. I think I've probably already written about that experience, so I'll skip the details, but a major turning point with my faith issue happened the night before that June 30th due date. I went to the women's Bible study with my church at the time, and after updating them all about my struggle, these very Godly and wise older women asked if they could lay hands on me and pray for God to stop my bleeding. So they did, even though I told them it made me nervous b/c of how fragile my faith already was: I knew that if it didn't work, that might be the end for me. Still, my hope that he would hear them and have mercy on me outweighed my fears, so I ultimately agreed. And pray they did.

The next day, my due date, the bleeding did indeed seem lighter at first, but it had been coming and going for months, so I wasn't holding my breath. "Maybe..." I thought, "Maybe this really WILL be it and it will be God's way of showing me he still cares about me." I remember I was sitting at my computer in the office that afternoon, when I felt a sudden gush of wetness between my legs (definitely TMI, I know). "Shit!", I thought. I was wearing a pad though (as I had been doing for the last 10 weeks or so... I swear I should have taken out stock in maxi pads), so I assumed I'd be ok when I stood up to go across the room and into the bathroom. I was wrong. I wasn't just bleeding a little, I was gushing blood that quickly soaked through my pad, my underwear, my skirt and then proceeded to drip all over the cream-colored carpet as I rushed across the room to the bathroom. Blood was literally everywhere and I could not believe it. This... THIS was God's response to all of the earnest prayers from some of the most Godly women I know? Well, shit. Thanks a lot.

My bleeding didn't stop that day, the day I should have been meeting my first-born child, oh no. It didn't stop, it came back with a vengeance I had never seen before. And I spent the rest of that afternoon trying to scrub fresh blood out of our carpet, all the while feeling whatever was left of my faith slip through my fingers.

I would love to say that that final deluge of blood was the end of the whole ordeal, but it wasn't. I went on to bleed for a few more weeks before I finally had another ultrasound and was told I'd need the D&C anyway... which of course led to two MORE weeks of bleeding to heal up from the surgery. Basically, I spent all of last summer bleeding, and I hated my life. I hated my body. I hated God.

(I guess I wrote that story out again after all. Sorry!)

We decided to take at least a 6 month break (though I hadn't realized I'd be bleeding for 3+ of those months, but whatever). Then, I got a new job and moved up north, so my husband and I were apart from August until he got a job up here in November, so that made taking a break all the easier (kind of hard to make a baby when you rarely see each other). But when he came up in November and we were finally moved into our own place, we felt ready to try again. This time, we were working with a new RE who had me on fertility treatments to try to up our chances of creating a healthy embryo (I was ovulating so late that with the first two babies they thought the problem could have just been poor egg quality). As we'd gotten pregnant relatively easily the other 2 times (once I figured out OPK's and charting and how to tell when I was ovulating), we both assumed the treatments would be our ticket to another pregnancy, and this time a healthy one. We had a lot of hope. So when month after month of pills and follicle studies, followed by injections and more follicle studies still did not lead to a baby, my state of mind quickly went downhill again. "You mean, after all of that, NOW I can't even get pregnant? And with HELP from one of Michigan's top doctors? What the hell is wrong with me? I guess it's never going to happen." We decided after 4 months of treatments to take a break. I wasn't handling it well emotionally and it clearly wasn't working anyway.

Lo and behold, that month we took a "break" (I was still charting and still using OPK's... a real great break, haha), is also the month I got pregnant. I ovulated at at normal time for once in my life, and the Dr. says this is probably due to the "honeymoon effect" of still having some of the drugs in my body, even though we hadn't used them that cycle. I was very hopeful right after ovulation and started on the progesterone supplements right away, per usual. However, about 4 days after ovulation, we both got some not so good news about our health (I swear I already wrote this all out... oh well), and I stopped taking the progesterone b/c I assumed there was no way we'd be pregnant. And I proceeded to drink as much as I wanted and basically act like a moron for the next 2 weeks, upon which I realized my period hadn't come at its usual shortened luteal phase point of about 10 days after ovulation. I took a test, and the rest is history. Well, the history that has led us to this point of being 22 weeks and 4 days pregnant with a baby boy... so it's not in the books YET that this baby will come home with us, but God I hope so. Maybe it's the nightly Lovenox shots that are keeping whatever the mysterious autoimmune disorder I was diagnosed with (literally the day before I found out I was pregnant) in check, or maybe it's just random luck. Or MAYBE it's God. I don't know, and I don't really go there right now because it's so scary and too confusing.

So shit. This is NOT what I intended this post to be at all. This was going to be about all of the psycho behaviors I now manifest as a result of my past experiences, and I still want to write those out because they are really weighing me down lately and I'd like to know I'm not the only one who struggles with them. I guess I'll jot down just a few (and if you are still reading this, you are seriously a champ... I am nothing if not long-winded. I get it from my mom, who used to write my teachers a novel instead of short note to explain why I might need to leave school early that day for this or that appointment. Ha).

Anyway, here are some of the things I do that I am NOT proud of ("Thanks, IF!"):

1) I instantly remove from my facebook news feed any woman who announces a pregnancy, unless I know she has had a difficult road leading up to that pregnancy. That is, I basically unfriend any and all women who are blessed with carefree and ignorant pregnancies. It's just too painful for me to see their stupid joy and bliss and to know they have NO fear or idea whatsoever that things could go wrong. And of course they WON'T go wrong (or so I assume) because these are extremely fertile women who get to time their children out exactly how they want to. And yes, even while pregnant myself, I feel no different about these women.

2) I then secretly stalk these women and check their pages when I feel like it, which I swear makes me a glutton for pain. Still, some small part of me wants to see how the "normal" half are experiencing pregnancy, so I check out their pages for a glimpse into what that world is like. Then, I feel like shit because I realize how far removed I am from anything at all resembling normal in the realm of being pregnant. Why can't I post cute comments about how amazing it is to feel my baby move inside of me? Or post pictures of my growing belly? Or quips about my cravings and how great my hubby is for putting up with me? Because that's not how pregnancy is for me. Pregnancy is terrifying and painful all at once. And yet, I torture myself by looking at these women's pages all the time. What is wrong with me? It's like spying on a club I'm not a part of, but want desperately to be included in. But I will never be a part of that club.

3) I curse every woman who is having their 2nd child (again, without any problems), especially when that child is the opposite sex from their 1st one. I guess I just think, "Really, you get to have it THAT perfectly? Not only are you on your SECOND baby since we started trying for our first, but now you get to have one of EACH? Well, isn't that perfect?" I am evil. I truly feel some jealousy and even hatred for these happy women who have it so easy. And I secretly wish their 2nd babies would be the same sex as their first, just because that seems a LITTLE fair, right? Of course, then they'll just keep having MORE babies until they get what they want. And eventually they will b/c that's how life works for the fertile. It feels cathartic to write that out, even while I know it makes me look like a heinous bitch. It's not me, it's the infertility talking.

4) I read into women's facebook comments like a private detective, looking for clues that she might be pregnant. You're "feeling sick"? You're pregnant. You're "exhausted"? Yep, pregnant. Then, I get insanely bitter towards these gals (I wrote "bitches" first, but then realized that might sound too harsh... it's how I feel though. Ha!) for not just coming out and saying it like I know they want to. Really, you have to be all cryptic and make us all guess? You know you are like 5 weeks pregnant and totally believe your baby will live (b/c it will, of course), so just go ahead and announce it to the world. We all know that "Craving Cold Stone ice cream" is not something a normal person would post unless they also happened to growing a baby inside of them, so stop trying to be cute. I also look for winky faces and comments from other people in response to these posts, since often others who are already in the know respond with more stupid cryptic comments like "Oh, I COMPLETELY understand. Just wait! ;)". It all makes me gag and want to slap someone, but only b/c once again, it's stuff out of the land of the fertile, where I just don't belong. Life there must be so blissfully ignorant and sweet. I wonder if that's what heaven is like.

5) I feel palpable relief when I see a girl my age tagged in a picture with a drink in her hand. I mean, it's crazy how relieved I feel. It's like, well, I know SHE at least is not going to be announcing a pregnancy today or even tomorrow, so she's safe at least for another couple of weeks. And I want to hang out with those people. Even though I am pregnant. Again, because they are "safe."

6) I don't do well with pregnancy small talk... at ALL. I was recently at a wedding where there happened to be about 5 pregnant girls all around my age, and so it was assumed we'd all talk and catch up and swap stories. This was a nightmare for me and I did my best to avoid conversation with any of them. We have nothing in common. All of them are on their first pregnancy, and none of them have ever had anything go wrong. There is literally nothing I can add to their easy conversations that won't just sound like a downer. "How are things going for me? Well, he's alive so far, so that's good. I still freak out pretty much every day thinking he's for sure dead b/c I haven't felt him move in a long time, but then I use my doppler (Oh, it's that thing they use at the Dr. to hear the heartbeat. Yeah, I rented one to have at home) to make sure he's still alive and I feel better. Sometimes I have to do this multiple times in a day." They don't know how to respond to this, and I am left realizing I should have just said "Everything is GREAT! I feel great and we're so excited to be having a baby boy. How are YOU doing?", but then, I've never been one who could hide her true feelings. Ugh. I wouldn't want to talk to me either.

I guess I'm going to stop there, because really, haven't I already painted a sad enough picture of life inside my sick and twisted little head? Ha. I miss my happy pills. It's all true though, and I try to tell myself it's normal given my history, but in reality I know many women handle this stuff with SO much more grace than I seem capable of. And I wish I could be that way. But for now, this is me. I am broken and bitter, but also happy and thankful for the life growing inside of me. This sweet baby boy better stick around for the long-haul though, or you might have to throw me in the loony bin once and for all.

Have a great weekend everyone! (Everyone = about 4 people at this point, but I am thankful for you all!).

P.S. I am not going to even proofread or edit this b/c it's too damn long, so I apologize for the typos. And for making you read 100 pages of rambling.

7 comments:

  1. Ugh it sucks, doesn't it? I was on a walk this morning thinking about how all of this ruined any pregnancy for me. Ruined-like beyond destroyed any ounce of excitement or happiness and replaced it with bone gripping fear. I have more to say :) but I have to jet to a party, I will email you later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, Em. I wish it wasn't so hard. Hugs to you, friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God. I love you. I know that sounds weird since I don't even know you but I love you for writing this. Obviously your experiences are your own but your feelings are mine. Especially #s 1, 2, and 5. I look ...no EXAMINE pictures of my friends who I "expect" to be pregnant very soon to see if I can see a baby bump, or if they are drinking. It is a sickness with me!

    I just can't go there with God. It sounds terrible especially if you are religious, but I seriously feel like God hates me. And then I think saying those things just means I'm going to get punished again because I said/thought that, but it doesn't stop me from saying that.

    I feel like some people have such golden lives. And then there's me.

    Thank you so much for writing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ducky,
      We should chat sometime about the God issue. I think we share a lot of the same feelings, and it can be helpful to know we're not alone in that. Last week we were at church (I rarely can even make myself go anymore) singing a song about God's love for us, and it made me so sad because it hit me that I don't really believe he loves me anymore. So I get that feeling. I have so much anger towards God that just today I told my husband I feel like I "hate God", and while I know that's a horrible thing to say, I also know he already knows how I feel anyway, so hiding it or pretending I feel something different is pointless. I am nothing if not honest about my feelings. :)
      I just don't understand where he's been through all of this mess... but I could ramble about this for hours, and I'll spare you that. Ha!

      As for feeling like other people have golden lives, I hear you on that too sister. I spend a lot of time feeling bad for myself b/c my life is NOT how I expected it would be, whereas I look at my friends and see that their lives ARE how they would expect them to be (that is, you get married and then when you're ready you just pop out a few perfect, beautiful children). And then I hate them for it. Even though it's NOT their fault any of this happened to me. And that brings me back to my anger at God...

      Sigh... I really do ramble. Sorry, friend!

      My point is that we're in much the same boat, at least emotionally, and that makes me feel just a little bit better. :) Thanks so much for your comment!

      Delete
    2. I know I just wrote about perspective on my own blog (and how it gets me in trouble - ha!) but I think it's a temptation to focus on the one thing everyone else has that we don't. No doubt the things we have each experienced are incredibly painful...no one can argue with that! But the reality is that the person who seems to have a golden life? They probably don't. Although it is SO easy to portray that image on face.book. (That's one of my pet peeves with the site, even though I'm certainly guilty of doing the same thing! Don't like the unflattering picture of myself? Delete! Had a bad day? Def won't post about it on FB!)
      Truth is that most all of us have a burden of one kind or another to bear at some point in our lives, whether now or in the future. We've probably all been blessed with things (that may or may not be taken for granted) that other people may wish came easy for them...whether it be our health, our relationships, loving family, living parents, stable marriages, jobs, supportive friends, self-esteem, finances, whatever. Of course, it's harder yet when we feel that one or more of these are in jeopardy. But that woman with the golden life who seems to have children with ease? You never know what trial may come her way (heaven forbid) in the future, that perhaps we will never have to experience. Anyway, just offering my two cents...not saying it's easy in any way. Hope I didn't offend. You know I'm in your corner. Hugs, dear friend. <3

      Delete
    3. K, my friend, you are so right. :) And no, it in NO way offends me. I often try to focus on this same truth, that we all have our struggles and that this is one of mine... that doesn't mean that everyone else has it easy, like I seem to assume. We all have our hard times. It's just so hard not to notice when our personal struggles are so incredibly easy for others, and it's hard to not wonder why that happens the way it does.And I'm sure it's the same thing no matter what your struggle is. The grass is always greener, right? I remember struggling with this very issue, in a different context, when my mom almost died in 2010 and was in the ICU for so long. When she was touch-and-go for a while, I really struggled with seeing other girls my age out and about with their apparently healthy mothers. It didn't seem fair. I wanted MY mom to be out to lunch with me, not fighting for her life in the ICU. And it hurt.
      So you are right! No matter the struggle, it's so easy to compare our lives to those around us and just assume we're the only ones hurting, and that's just not the case. Thank you for the reminder that I need to keep things in perspective. I DO have so much to be thankful for, and I so often lose sight of those things as I focus on the hard stuff that has happened, and how that's all shaped me. I'm thankful to have you in my life! Can you move up north so we can just hang out and talk all the time? :)

      Delete
  4. IF and loss has really messed with me to. I can relate to so many of your FB tendencies. LOL. (hugs).

    ReplyDelete