Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Freaking Out... Irrationally?

There is so much to write about.
Most of it is good, but with me, that one bad thing will so quickly overshadow the good that I forget the good is even there. And this "bad thing" is most likely nothing. And it makes me feel like a crazy person. But I'll get to that later.

We had our 28 week ultrasound on Thursday (actually 27 weeks, 2 days), which was the follow-up to our 20 week anatomy scan. This was to follow-up on his ureter issue, since at 20 weeks they were measuring slightly large, meaning there could have been extra fluid in them, leading into the kidneys. I was reassured enough times during the 8 week wait to not really be too concerned about this, as I was told it was very common with baby boys, and more importantly that they have NEVER seen it turn in to an actual issue with any patients within my OB's office.

So we had the scan on Thursday, and then unfortunately we couldn't see a doctor to go over the results until the next day, Friday. That's no good for an anxious person like me, and I tried to tell the tech that any information she could give us would be helpful. Well, she must have been having a bad day Thursday (why must I always catch medical professionals on their bad days? It's making me think maybe it's really me that's the problem?), because she was MUCH less caring and reassuring than she's been in the past. In fact, she told Phil that video was not permitted when he turned on the camera, when 8 weeks ago she was all about it. Weird. Then she proceeded to measure things, without really telling us what she was seeing. This is so hard for me, because I automatically associate silence with bad news. At every "bad news" ultrasound I've ever had, the tech was always silent, finally leaving to send in a doctor to tell me the bad news. So I'm pretty sure my PTSD switch flips on in these situations and I just start to prepare myself for the worst.

Well, from what I could TELL, baby boy looked good. She did finally tell us he was measuring big... in the 65th percentile, but that that's fine. They only worry if they are below the 10th or above the 90th. And honestly, I'd rather him be big than small! He is estimated to weigh 2 pounds, 10 ounces, which is again a few weeks ahead of schedule. I weighed nearly 10 lbs. at birth, so my mom and I (she was there for this too), kind of laugh at the thought that he could be a real chunker just like his mom was.

At the end, I asked her if she could tell me ANYTHING at all, and she did say "I wouldn't worry if I were you." I really appreciated that, and it allowed me to wait the 24 hours to see the doctor without worrying too much. I know they can't really tell us too much, as it's up to the doctor to do that.

The ultrasound took forever because baby boy was being stubborn. He had his back facing out, so his face was facing internally, and it was hard to get a good profile shot. He also kept his little fist up in front of his face just like he did at 20 weeks. I guess he just really did NOT want his picture taken, so we left with some images, but none of them are that great. Of course I still pour over them endlessly, taking in every little detail... because I love every chance I get to see this little boy we worked so hard to get.

My follow-up appointment yesterday (Friday) went well. This was with a new OB, a woman, and I LOVED her. She is older and kinder and just so sweet. She was very reassuring and said the ureter issue is no longer an issue at all. He is fine. He looks good. He looks healthy. (I am trying to hold on to these statements today, when my panic instinct is flaring). She found his heartbeat with the doppler in about 1 second, and then answered a few of my questions. And that was it. I left feeling good for once, probably because I had just met with a doctor who treated me like a human being. What a difference that can make! And when I go back in 2 weeks, I will see another female... actually a nurse-midwife, and I have heard such great things about her too. So I feel good about this break (maybe I can make it indefinite?) from my regular OB, and I think we both really needed it.

So here's the catch. Here's where I become a crazy person who freaks myself out, hopefully needlessly. Are you ready?

I read a forum on Baby Center that is for women due in December with Rainbow Babies. Even this is hard for me, b/c many of these women are morons who post about things like fights with their husbands and crying over spilled yogurt. I could care less. But then again, these are also women who have lost what I've lost, and are now trying to wade through the scary waters of pregnancy after miscarriage. And it's hard. And many of them really seem to get that. I would never, not in a million years, ever step "foot" in a regular pregnancy forum, b/c I know my reaction would be one of disgust and jealously over how petty and naive pregnant women can be who have never known heartache on their road to becoming a mother. I just can't go there.

Anyway, the problem arose last night, in bed, when I was reading some posts on the December Rainbow Baby forum on my Kindle Fire (aren't those supposed to be used for reading BOOKS? Oh well). I happened upon one little comment, and immediately my panic button was pushed and I was a goner. This woman was posting about how her recent ultrasound had gone well for various reasons, one of which was that the doctor noted her baby opening and closing her little hands. In other words, her baby's hands were not clenched. Red flag!!

At both of my ultrasounds, baby boy has firmly and stubbornly kept his hands tightly clenched and up by his face. I thought nothing of this, other than that he was probably not enjoying the sound waves from the ultrasounds and was making fists as a reflex. I had never heard that fist clenching was a marker for anything being wrong, but last night I learned that it is indeed just that. One of the major markers for many of the trisomy chromosomal disorders is a baby that won't unclench their hands. Shit. Shit!! I immediately started to panic... and search Dr. Google, which as we all know is usually a great plan. Cue the rapid heartrate and tears of panic. I have never seen my baby wave to me on the ultrasound, as so many mention. I have never even seen him MOVE his little fists away from his face. Is this bad? Is there something wrong with him? Why doesn't he open his hands like he's supposed to? Is it just a reflex to him not liking ultrasounds, or is it something more major than that? It could be trisomy, or it could be another neurological disorder.

It sounds so stupid and irrational. So he has had his hands in fists for 2 ultrasounds? So what? But once you read enough times that many doctors take this seriously and will usually do a follow-up to make sure they CAN and DO open their hands, it's easy to start to panic. But why didn't MY doctor, either time, even mention this to me? Are they not looking at my charts/sono pics very carefully? I've met with different doctors, neither of them my real OB, after both ultrasounds, and I'm sure neither spent too long looking at the images of my sweet baby boy. And I am worried. And of course it's a Saturday, and I can't call the office.

Can anyone tell me if you have any experience with this? Have you had ultrasounds where your baby's hands were clenched in fists, and the doctor never mentioned it? Should I be worried, or am I just creating things to worry about?

I see the nurse-midwife on September 20th, and I suppose I can try to wait and talk to her about it then. I'd like to ask for another ultrasound at some point, just to make sure he CAN in fact open his hands up. But then what if he doesn't? I might worry even more.

I really hate this. This morning I told my husband that this immediately sends me back to my deep-set fear that of course this could never work out for us. Of COURSE we won't end up with a healthy baby, because that just doesn't happen to us. I have shitty-quality eggs and he has less than perfect sperm, so how could we expect a perfectly healthy baby? And then I start to get angry again. So angry. If we end up with a baby who has issues, of course I will love it no matter what, but seriously? Isn't it time for something to go RIGHT for us? Can't we just have this one little miracle? Basically, and I know this all sounds crazy, my anger issues towards God immediately bubble to the surface. Where is he in all of this? I still don't know. Where is the peace I pray so much more? Maybe I don't deserve it anymore. Ugh.

It is truly amazing to me how quickly I fall back into this pessimistic pattern. All over little clenched fists, which could admittedly be perfectly normal! I miss Lexapro. I miss my innocence. I want to be naive and just believe that my baby will make it and be just fine. I want to be normal.

12 more weeks? How can I get through that? I just want to meet this baby. I just want him to be ok. Please God, please let him be healthy both physically and mentally. Please.

And I apologize for the melodrama, but this is where I am this Saturday morning. I can't call the nurse line b/c it's the weekend, and I have nowhere else to turn. I will try to pray away my anxieties. I will work on staying busy. I will enjoy the little kicks from baby boy, and work on imagining him opening and closing his hands in there. Ultrasounds are only brief moments in time, right? They don't show the whole picture.

Of course I planned all week to write about school and the craziness of going back. I also planned to write about the survival's guilt I feel every time I'm in the waiting room at my OB's office, but both of those topics will have to wait for another time. Happy weekend, friends!

6 comments:

  1. Oh shoot, Em...I'm sorry this has you so freaked out! :( And what a bummer that it's the weekend, so you have to wait until Monday to have any answers.

    As far as the clenched fists, I have honestly NEVER heard of this issue before! I have no memory of my OB EVER making a big deal about whether my boy's fists were open or closed. And when we had our "big" 20 week ultrasound, I do not remember that being a check point - like checking for the 4 chambers of the heart, measuring the leg bone, examining the spine, etc. This is the first time I've ever heard reference to it as a indicator of a problem. I even looked back at all my ultrasound pictures, and from what I can see he has little fists in all of them that actually show his hands...I never had him "wave" to me on the U/S screen.

    Even though I know nothing about the chromosomal disorders you mentioned, it does seem to me that if there would be a number of different indicators for such a problem. Hopefully if there was any reason to be concerned, your OB would have caught it by now.

    I hope your doctor's office can give you some peace of mind about it on Monday, and maybe even do an U/S to check on it if they're at all worried about it. Until then, I'll keep praying and trusting that everything is fine. Hugs to you, dear friend. Hang in there! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have time to write...but I was told that clenched hands by the face is when the baby is content and happy! Email you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also never heard of this at all before. I do agree that with trisomy whatever the number, there would also be other issues that would be popping up by now. U/S machines are so good today, i think it's hard to go as far as you without seeing SOMETHING.

    But even if clenched fists were to mean something, how many minutes total have you looked at your baby on an u/s screen compared to the time you've been carrying? I can totally see that your baby might be scrunching up his fists when being poked/prodded and other times when things are more calm is when he's waving, and you just don't happen to catch it since the majority of the time you're not undergoing u/s.

    I know nothing is going to make a difference (because it wouldn't to me) but I sincerely think something wrong would have been seen by now.

    ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. My doctor, who mentions most things, never mentioned fists/hands one way or the other. Also, remembering that an ultrasound is only a very very brief look baby's day! Even if he's hitting every single milestone, that doesn't mean you'll catch them all on ultrasound, even with a large number of ultrasounds.

    I've had my share of potentially scary ultrasound moments. At our last appointment, baby's legs were measuring 11th percentile and his head was measuring 89th percentile. (I was also told that between 10 and 90 was fine, but seriously? 1 off in each direction? My first thought was to go onine and read every single thing I could find about fetal measurements and genetic disorders. I wanted ot know what the odds were that this was a problem. I just knew everything was falling apart, but instead, I'm just not. Baby is moving and alive. The doctor said he thinks things are okay and there is NOTHING I can do either way. I can't grow his legs faster, there isn't a prenatal cure if there is a problem. It's hard sometimes and I occasionally feel a panic coming on, but I know that for me the best thing I can do is to stay away from too much googling when I can.

    Wishing you peace.

    (sorry this is rambling and probalby not explaining what I'd like to say well at all, I'll try emailing you after I sleep!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Think calm thoughts. I know where your brain is as I go there all the time. If it's not one thing it's another. Maybe we shouldn't be getting any ultrasounds!
    My doctor or u/s tech never mentioned anything about open or closed hands either. I don't think it's much indication that something is wrong. Did you do the first 12 week scan and blood draw to test for Downs and Trisomy? If those came back fine, I am sure there is nothing to worry about.
    Breath and keep calm until you can speak to someone. You are doing okay.
    MissC

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are also now waiting for our 28 week ultrasound to see if the one kidney that was slightly (.5/1MM) enlarged has gone down to 'normal' size. Silly 'soft markers'.

    We also met with a genetic counselor. She was amazing and very reassuring.
    Although just like you and all of the thoughts you had/having - I AM HAVING!
    It's enough to drive you insane, isn't it?

    Finger, toes and eye balls crossed that when we go back on Oct 19th - everything looks within 'normal' range.

    Luckily, we did meet someone and their first son had the same issue, it was a quick surgery, although they did not want to call it a surgery, their son is now in college and they said you could never tell anything was wrong with him.

    I'll be hoping and praying that all goes well for you!!

    Sending you tons of hugs!

    www.roadtoreproduction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete